Páginas

sábado, 3 de julio de 2010

To much study? Is there such a thing?

Student:
I don't do well on exam even though I spend long hours studying, at the library or in my room. I can do the psets and I think I understand the material, but I have trouble focusing on what's in front of me. Mi ideal is to just learn for learning's sake, but I know that in order to get better exam grades I have to become more systematic and get through things faster.

I don't really have extracurricular (I am doing a thesis). Maybe I should do a UROP or something to force myself to focus?

Recent Alum:
It is wonderful to hear that you enjoy learning, and know how how to work until you understand the concepts in your classes, not just to get through the psets . But I think you are right that you have to much time to study. If you feel your time is unlimited, there is not much pressure to make good use of it.

It may be helpful to make a schedule and set short-term goals. Even if you don't have something else to do at 3 pm, for instance, make a mental note (or write it down, for extra emphasis) that you will finish the Physics psets between 1 and 3 pm. This will give you a challenge that may help you focus and use your time productively. If you thing that an extracurricular activity may help you better schedule your time, you can try that too. Most of our varsity athlete are also excellent students because they have to use their time at peak efficiency.

By MIT Tips...

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario